Friday, February 26, 2010

Premier Pollinators



Premier Pollinators - I even like the sound of that!  For those of you who live in a cold winter climate like I do, I hope this little picture will give you a tiny bit of encouragement that yes, we will see this again soon!

This past year of beekeeping has been quite an adventure for us and when I think back on how much we have learned it is kind of amazing.

I have a cousin who has kept bees for over 25 years.  He started with one small hive from his wifes uncle.  He takes his hives to the warmer climates in the winter for pollination.  My husband is spending the week with him just to see what it is all about!  I can't wait to see his pictures. 



What is sad is that the almonds are in bloom right now, but there is a shortage of honeybees to pollinate them.  Most of us know that the honeybees pollinate almonds, blueberries and many of the plants and flowers we have in our yards.  I thought it would be fun to list a few that maybe you never thought of before.

  • Allspice
  • Buckwheat
  • Coffee
  • Eggplant
  • Macadamia
  • Okra
  • Papaya
  • Persimmon
  • Rose Hips
  • Starfruit
  • Sour Cherry
This is a very small list of what these premier pollinators do to ensure we have so many choices and types of food to choose from.  It is so important for people to know just how important they are to our food chain!

What are some of your favorites?

4 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I`m a beekeeper in Vienna (Austria-Europe).It´s a mild climate now (+10C) - the first flowers for bees are Winter Aconite (Eranthis hyemalis), hazelnut (Corylus avellana) and snowdrop(Galanthus nivalis).

    I love your blog! It`s great!
    With best wishes!

    Eva
    http://www.mein-erstes-bienenjahr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our new bees are arriving March 27. We are using and making top-bar hives. I'd like to hear from other top-bar enthusiasts and find your blog most interesting. Our own website is
    thegardenhive.com, which my husband keeps up and has quite a lot of fun researching, trying not to "go over the top" in his enthusiasm for the top-bar. We live in North Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eva - Both your climate and your flowers sound so wonderful! It seems like we have to wait a long time for those first spring flowers to emerge! I tried to visit your blog, but I was not able to get through. Is there some other way to access it? I would love to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol - You will be receiving your bees about 3 weeks before we do. It won't be much longer for you! Your husband has done such a beautiful job on your website. His top bar hive looks awesome! I have just started hearing so much about these, and find it all so interesting. This is all still a new adventure for us and I love hearing from people and learning as much as I can! Best of luck to you this spring season!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments and suggestions!